One of my goals here on Natalie Yerger is to encourage you to get creative in every area of your life, including beauty. Just like you, my relationship with my skin, features, and ability to apply makeup has been a journey–it has frustrating days and bright moments when my confidence soars. No matter where you are in yours, I wholeheartedly believe you can come to see beauty routines as an opportunity to express yourself and highlight what’s uniquely beautiful about you.
For example, no matter your facial shape, hair color, or skin tone, everyone can be flattered with a great brow. They play a crucial role in framing the face, opening up the eyes, and bringing expressions to life. Last summer, I wanted to try a thicker brow, so I purchased a two-pack of NeuBrow from the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Since it’s been six months, I thought I’d share a full review with results, recommendations, and alternatives in case you’re looking for a more affordable, effective option.
One of my favorite things about eyebrows is how versatile and varied they are in thickness, length, and shape. To apply, I used the brush end of the serum to brush my brows up and out. Then I would step back and look at my brows from a bit further away in the mirror, in order to determine where I needed filling in. Then I would apply the serum with the wand (it’s like a mascara tube) to these areas.
Last July, I began applying the serum morning and night, focusing on the areas where I wanted new hair to grow: the head (by my nose), lower brow line, and tail. Within 1 month, I started noticing new growth in each of the areas mentioned. My existing brows were also getting longer and thicker. I haven’t had my eyebrows waxed in over 6 months, and I’ve never been happier with them.
Here’s the exact approach I used:
- Apply / Apply NeuBrow morning and night to areas of desired growth for 8-12 weeks. Do not pluck, wax, or trim. They will likely get bushier than you prefer! Let them go! Allowing them to really grow out of your comfort zone will give you so much more brow to play with when you go to shape them. Trust me on this one. At some point my sister commented that my eyebrows were bushy, and it felt like a compliment because I knew the serum was working!
- Shape / Once I feel like I had a good amount of brow growth, I would *conservatively* shape them with tweezers until I was happy.
- Break / Take a week off of NeuBrow, with no applications.
- Reapply / Begin another 8-12 week growth cycle & repeat.
Oddly enough, my right eyebrow grew faster than my left! After 2-3 months, I scaled back application on my right brow and focused on the left. Once it catches up, I’ll do another growth cycle on both.
How long does a bottle last?
My first bottle lasted from July to December (roughly 5 months) when I was applying morning and evening. I just started my second bottle.
How long does it take to see growth results?
I saw new hairs within 2 weeks but really noticed a difference after the first month. The results are absolutely noticeable by weeks 8-12, especially if you apply morning and night.
Is NeuBrow safe for your skin?
I personally haven’t had an averse reaction to this product, but I recommend testing it on a small area of your skin prior to a full application. I did not use NeuBrow on nights when I was using a more intense skincare product, like a retinol or a peel.
How do you apply it?
It’s incredibly easy! The product is just like a mascara tube, with the serum inside and a wand, but on the other end of the wand there is also an eyebrow brush. I prefer to brush my eyebrows up and out with this brush instead, then apply the serum where you want growth. You don’t need much.
Where can I purchase it?
I purchased a two-pack of NeuBrow at the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, and if they include this in the sale again this year I’ll be sure to share. You really only need one tube of NeuBrow to see significant growth, though, and you can purchase them at Nordstrom, Dermstore, Bloomingdales, and Sax Fifth Avenue.
Is NeuBrow safe for pregnancy?
According to their website, the product hasn’t been tested on pregnant or breastfeeding women. I would bring the ingredient list to your OBGYN and consult with him/her prior to purchasing.
How long do I need to use it?
When I was really focused on growing my brows out, I used it 2x a day, 7 days a week (when I remembered!). Now that I’m focusing on filling in my left brow more, I use it once a day. When I’m happy with my results I will probably apply 1x a week to maintain the growth, but I don’t think that’s even necessary.
Will it grow new hair where there are holes?
For me, absolutely yes! I was amazed by this.
Does it help grow new brow hair or just make the ones you already have thicker/longer?
I saw both effects with NeuBrow. My existing brow hairs became thicker, longer, and even a bit darker. It also grew new brow hairs where I had none before.
Is there anything you didn’t like about the product?
I wish the brush end of the wand were a spoolie (like this) as I find them more effective for brow grooming. Personally, I would have preferred the growth happen without the slight darkening of my eyebrows that came with it. It was very subtle, though. The other thing I will note is that the effects of the product seemed to lessen over time. This wasn’t surprising, as I see this effect with all of my beauty products (skincare, hair conditioners, etc.). When this happens, I’ll stop using the product for a week or two and when I return to it the effects are back to their normal intensity.
Brow Growth Options on a Budget
Absolutely! While I haven’t tried any of them personally, I did some researching for you and can recommend the following:
- RevitaBrow .5 Ounce ($58): A trial, half ounce size. One reviewer commented that it lasted her 6+ weeks and her brows completely filled in during that time frame.
- GrandeBrow ($70): I used Grande Cosmetics’ lash serum leading up to my wedding and the results were insane. I’ve never been asked so many questions about my lashes in my life. Since both are in the hair growth category, I’d bet GrandeBrow works just as well.
- GrandeBrow + GrandeLash Kit ($45): If I were to choose for you, I’d pick this kit. Note that these are roughly travel size, but this is an excellent entry level kit if you’re new to serums and on a budget.
- Organic Castor Oil ($10): I’ve heard and read incredible things about Castor Oil for hair growth. Some women say it works incredibly for them while others report no difference. The price is so low that you could try it on for size and see what works for you!
- NeuBrow + NeuLash Kit ($100): I like that this kit gives you exposure to the brow and lash products. If you’re wanting to touch up both areas, this is a great two-for-one option.