I’ve really taken a liking to blazers the past few years and have slowly added styles for every season, from a lightweight white blazer to cozy herringbone wool and everyday double-breasted. And with some time under my belt styling them all, I’m convinced that there might be no better sophisticated yet relaxed mashup than a blazer and jeans.
It has just enough class and casual for almost any scenario, from airplane travel to date night, business casual events, and errands. A jeans look that feels simple can feel tied together and eye catching when you layer a beautifully fitted blazer.
Of course, there are hundreds of ways to style a blazer with jeans, but these are 10 blazer and jeans outfits that I think are particularly wearable, timeless, and chic.
Outfit Details: Cinq a Sept Tweed Blazer, Tuckernuck Scarf, J.Crew Sweater, Everlane Jeans (old, similar here), Veronica Beard Heels (more sizes here), Senreve Bag (read my review)
Tips for Wearing a Blazer with Jeans
Before we dive in, a few tips and tricks on how to nail this combination:
- Balance: Balance is all about countering oversized with streamlined, and wide with slim. If you’re wearing an oversized blazer, wear more fitted jeans. If you’re wearing a tailored classic blazer, you can get away with baggier denim.
- Mix and Match: Think beyond a white tee and sneakers. Create contrast to make the look pop (a blouse with ruffles, statement pumps, or textural (suede, leather, etc.) flats) and mix it up.
- Accessorize: I love using prints to tie in the colors of an outfit like I did with my twill blazer and scarf here. Echoing the colorways throughout an outfit is an easy way to take a look to the next level. If you don’t have a coordinating print, try coordinating your shoes, bag, jewelry, or belt.
- On Choosing Shoes: I honestly think that any pair of shoes go with a blazer and jeans as long as the shoe meshes well with the denim. For a smart casual vibe, try flats, loafers, or pumps. For an ultra-casual look try sneakers. Heels and boots can land somewhere in between depending on the fabrication, height, and shape.
- Choosing Denim Wash and Cut: Generally speaking, dark wash, black, fitted, non-distressed jeans read dressier while light, baggy, distressed jeans read more casual, so pick your pair of jeans according to the feel you’re after or the dress code.
- Blazer Fit is Everything: The more structured a blazer, the more professional it feels, so I recommend relaxed blazers. Something that has enough room to layer unique blouses and sweaters underneath. Ideally, blazers should be fitted across your shoulders, have sleeves that hit from wrist bone to mid thumb, and skim the top of your hip bone.
Blazer and Jeans Outfit Ideas
Maybe the most fail-safe way to wear this combination is in a casual look with sneakers and a t-shirt—but let’s go beyond the basics! Below are 10 jean and blazer outfit ideas—everything from a classy look for a nice night out, a cozy layered combo for fall and winter, an option for desk to dinner, and an ultra-casual option with ripped jeans.
SUEDE BLAZER / SWEATER / GREEN PANTS / TOTE / CHELSEA BOOTS (MORE SIZES HERE)
CORDUROY BLAZER / BUTTON DOWN / JEANS / TOTE / SUNGLASSES / MULES / HOOPS
WOOL HERRINGBONE BLAZER / TOP / DARK DENIM / SUEDE TOTE / PUMPS
CAMEL BLAZER / OXFORD TOP / JEANS / LOAFERS / TOTE / HOOPS
BLACK BLAZER / WHITE SHIRT / JEANS / TOTE / LOAFERS
BLAZER / TOP / TOTE / SNEAKERS / BLACK JEANS
BLAZER / HOODIE / SKINNY JEANS / TOTE / SNEAKERS / SUNGLASSES
NAVY BLAZER / TOP / JEANS / TOTE (MORE HERE) / NECKLACE / CHANEL SHOES
PLAID BLAZER / BLOUSE / JEANS / BOOTS / CROSSBODY
WOOL BLAZER / TOP / BLACK JEANS / BOOTS / HOOPS / HOBO BAG