We’ve officially reached the part of summer when nothing sounds better than to spend all day, every day in a swimsuit. I’ve found that the best clothes for hot weather look a lot like the staples I wear poolside to keep cool and comfortable, from cotton mini dresses and airy skirts to linen separates that can go from workday to outdoors in a breeze. Below, I’m sharing an edit of clothes to beat the heat in style and 8 fashion tips to stay cool in your clothing on the hottest days.
How to Dress for the Heat
- Select Cooling Fabrics and Materials: Check your clothing labels fabrics with breathability, like linen, cotton, and silk. Avoid fabrics that trap that and moisture, such as polyester, rayon, and poly blends.
- Opt for Light Color Fabrics: Even though I’m all for dark colors and black in the summer, lighter colors and whites are ideal for ultra-hot days as they reflect heat rather than absorb it.
- Choosing Looser Fitting Garments: Loose-fitting clothing like puff-sleeve blouses, flowy skirts, wide leg pants, and roomy maxi dresses will provide air circulation and room for your skin to breathe.
- Go Sleeveless or Short: Peak summer days are the time to ditch jeans, pants, and sleeves whenever possible. Strapless, sleeveless, and spaghetti strap tops and shorts, skirts, and mini dresses are best for airflow.
- Wear Open-Toe Shoes: Closed-toe shoes, like sneakers and loafers, have their place in your summer shoe collection, but for the hottest days, open-toed styles like strappy sandals and espadrilles are best.
- Opt for Minimal Jewelry: Metal gets heavy and sticky quickly in the heat, so in the summer, opt for delicate jewelry, like a simple ring stack, just one of Parramatta custom engagement rings, or pair of earrings in lieu of long, dangly, or chunky jewelry.
- Use a Hair Accessory: A chic summer hat doubles as sun protection, and there are endless easy summer hairstyles you can create with a headband or hair scarf to keep your strands off of your skin.
- When In Doubt, Wear a Dress: Summer dresses in a breathable fabric are the best fallback for warm weather as they’re easy to style and feel amazing on. Mini lengths and details like open backs, thin straps, and cutouts make them even cooler.
Clothes for Hot Weather
If you’re struggling with exactly what to wear when it’s hot out, see below for my hot weather clothing picks. These are comfortable, cooling pieces that stand up against the heat and lend a summertime feel.