Over the past few years, denim trends have grown wider and wider, from skinny to demi boot to straight leg to flare. The pattern continues this year, but there’s one denim style in particular that every major brand is honing in on: the wide leg. So today I’m breaking down how to style wide-leg jeans and my current favorite pairs on the market!
How to Style Wide Leg Jeans
Since this is such a voluminous style, proportion and balance are key. Most people are surprised to learn that wide leg jeans can look incredible on all body types and heights. As with wearing any separate, it’s all about choosing pairings and accessories that work for your figure in addition to making those final styling tweaks (tuck, cinch, adjust, roll!) that help the look feel polished.
- Choose a tailored top or bodysuit (or front tuck a looser style, like a white t-shirt or cashmere sweater). This is essential so that you don’t lose your shape.
- Opt for a high rise pair of wide leg jeans and consider using a belt to further emphasize the waistline. For hourglass and triangle shapes this will create balance in the shoulders and hips. For a rectangle shape, this adds curves.
- Try a strong shoulder if you’ve tried both of the tips above and your proportions still feel off. This could be with a puff sleeve t-shirt or blouse, or an oversized blazer. This L’AGENCE jacket with shoulder pads (yes, they’re back!) is a prime example. My outfit in this puff sleeve top post is another great example of balancing wide leg bottoms with a strong shoulder.
- Choose sleek shoes. Wide leg jeans are visually weighty, so a sleek shoe, like a pointed toe pump, slim (not chunky) sneaker, almond toe ankle boots, pointed toe booties (not lug sole), will counterbalance that. My favorite combo is a simple heeled sandal that shows some skin.
- If you’re petite, consider a relaxed straight style or a soft flare. Extreme flares may throw off your proportions.
- Let them be a statement! Last but not least, wide leg denim is meant to be a statement piece. Let them do the talking, don’t sweat it if you stand out, and enjoy wearing something a little trendy!
Wide Leg Jeans Outfit Ideas
- Weekend Errands: Choose a cropped pair and add ballet flats or loafers, a tucked white button down, t-shirt, or tank top, and long outerwear like a trench coat or belted wool coat (depending on the season) for a casual look.
- Date Night: A bodysuit or slim-fit going out top, strappy heels, and a blazer draped over the shoulders.
- The Office: Pointed pumps, a thin belt, a fitted satin top, and a blazer or denim jacket with a strong shoulder. Wide leg pants work great here as well.
- Happy Hour: Wear a crisp white tee tucked in front with a blazer and strappy heels.
What Are Wide Leg Jeans
Wide leg jeans have a wider cut leg opening compared to traditional straight leg and skinny jeans. The fit is looser, more relaxed, and creates a flowy silhouette.
The great part about wide leg jeans is that there’s a little something for everyone. If you enjoy the Gen Z style, baggy jean cuts, there’s a pair for you. If you prefer a sleeker pair with definition at the thigh and waist that gets wider through the leg, there’s a pair for you.
They work with all body types as long as they’re styled with one’s proportions in mind and are especially flattering on triangle shapes to balance the hips.
Best Wide Leg Jeans in 2023
Here’s a curated edit of the best wide leg jeans I’ve seen this season from my favorite denim brands (high and low). Click the collage to shop them all, or scroll down for a direct link to each pair!