One way to bring lift to both your wardrobe and mood this time of year is with pretty sweaters, especially when the winter to spring transition is stretching out longer than usual.
If you’ve been reading here for awhile, you know that I tend to wear neutrals, but something in me snapped last week.
I’m not sure whether it’s my subconscious longing for spring or I’m looking for a bright spot in the midst of personal challenges, but long sleeve cardigans, pullover sweaters, crewnecks, and v-necks in color—sky blues, citrus oranges, lilac purples, blush pinks—are stealing my attention.
As I thought about it, I realized that I have an interesting relationship with color.
The vast majority of my wardrobe is neutral. And yes, neutrals are more versatile. But they’re also safe because they’re less likely to draw attention.
There’s nothing wrong with neutrals. Maybe I genuinely love black, brown, and white and feel my best in them.
But is that really why I’ve avoided color over the years?
I haven’t fully fleshed this out, but my hunch is that it has more to do with my self esteem and self confidence than I realized.
Color is bright and bold. It says “look at me, see me, know me.”
There’s still so much to unpack there.
And surprisingly, I’m excited to do it because whatever I discover about my relationship with color may prove what I’ve always suspected of getting dressed: it’s about so much more than the clothes.
I can’t wait to share more of what I discover.
What about you? Do you love neutrals? Genuinely feel your best in them? If you wear color, have you always been that way?
I’d love to hear your thoughts and reflections in the comments.
Whether you’re a longtime color lover or wanting to get out of the neutral box like me, below are cute and colorful knit sweaters to wear now and into spring.
- Wrap Sweater—525 America has such a fun spring collection. This ombre cardigan is on-trend, and I love the soft blue of this crewneck and duster.
- Striped Sweater—Love this contemporary take on the classic polo sweater.
- Cardigan Sweater—This cranberry knit cardi would look great with a slip skirt or white denim and a tee.
- Colorblock Sweater—Brights and rainbow are in. This knit top offers a sophisticated take.
- Half-Zip Sweater—This sage piece gives a nod to all things in bloom. Varley makes similar for less.