October was a sweet month for us. It’s not every year in North Carolina that the temperatures fall delightfully into the 60s by this time, allowing us to wear the warm clothing and autumnal colors we’ve been looking forward to all year long. This year we got lucky and saw an essentially overnight dip after the last of the hurricanes had blown through.
Today I’m expanding my “Best Buys of October” into a broader series that will look back at each month. I love sharing where we’ve been, the ups and downs of each month, and what I’m enjoying and learning with you, so I thought it’d be fun to cover it in one post.
These are the things I’ll always remember when I look back on this month.
- We spent a week in Vermont celebrating our anniversary, which I wrote about here and here.
- My niece turned 1 month old and we enjoyed the first few weeks of her life. She turned one month old on the day of my sister’s wedding, and my brother and sister-in-law took her on the dance floor! I will never forget those moments. She’s the first grandchild and first niece on my side of the family, so she’s really something special and we’re all enamored.
- We married off my sister to her best friend and an incredible guy we’re so happy to welcome into the family.
- I received a first look at my website redesign, which I can’t wait to share with you.
- We marked the first anniversary in our home, which I reflected on here.
Loves, Likes, & Passes
Sharing things I ate, purchased, or did – and whether I’d recommend them.
- Natural Bliss Pumpkin Spice Creamer / Love / A pure, not-too-sweet pumpkin flavor in my coffee with minimal ingredients. I use about 1 teaspoon.
- Tan Drops / Love / I mix this with moisturizer and leave on overnight for a natural glow on my face.
- O’Ku Sushi / Love / A favorite sushi spot from Charleston opened in Raleigh. Try the Hamachi Carpaccio.
- Pant Hangers / Love / These took our closet organization to another level during our clean out this month.
- Coffee Storage Bins / Love / We used 3 of these to organize our coffee drawer & I bought more for our snacks in the pantry.
- Trader Joe’s Zoodles / Pass / Sadly, these pre-spiralized zucchini were mealy for my taste.
- Bohemian Rhapsody (movie) / Like / While it doesn’t do justice to Freddie Mercury’s life or talent, if you love Queen, you’ll find something to love about this movie.
- Curried Chicken Salad / Love / We made this for tea sandwiches the morning of my sister’s wedding & they were a hit.
October Best Buys
My favorite purchases & most-used items from the month.
- Leave-In Conditioner – I found this leave-in through Julianne Hough’s stylist several years ago and recently added it to my routine again. I use it with Mason Pearson comb for fast, break-free detangling, and it doesn’t weigh my hair down or make it appear oily. If you’re hesitant, the trial size is a great option.
- Ballerina Hoodie – We’ve begun cleaning out our closet over the past month, and many of the items I gave away were sweatshirts. I love wearing them around the house and to the gym for comfort and coverage, but the traditional crewnecks were a little boyish for me. This zip up with gold detailing from Lululemon’s new Royal Ballet Collection is the ideal, feminine piece for throwing atop workout gear or for lounging at home.
- Bootcut Denim – It’s rare that I find denim that I absolutely love. I recently added this charcoal bootcut pair to my closet and cannot recommend them enough. They’re flattering on any body type and provide a bit of stretch for comfort. These jeans will sell out quickly and are perfect your fall sweaters and booties.
- Doormat – This woven doormat from Terrain added texture to our entryway while maintaining the neutral palette. It’s held up through rain, wind, and foot traffic, so I’d say it’s a keeper.
- Oversized Sweater – This buttery soft sweater is my favorite purchase of the month. It fits exactly as its name, “Softly Structured Tunic,” implies: slightly oversized yet not shapeless. For similar options under $100, I love this lookalike and this $68 mock neck.
On the Blog
What you loved most, what I loved sharing, and a recap of the month’s posts.
Your Favorite Post / Autumn Finds Under $100
November Sneak Peek…
We’ll be in North Carolina for the month of November, as we pushed back our Europe trip to the week of David’s birthday in February. Sometimes, the best thing is to be at home and create a routine. I’m looking forward to being here for Thanksgiving and celebrating with my family and friends.
In November, I hope to wrap up and launch my website’s redesign! You can expect a more streamlined, beautiful experience with faster load times, a shop section, and a variety of features to help you stay inspired and shop on the go. On the blog, I’ll be sharing more fall style inspiration (including this MKT Studio blazer and its affordable lookalike), a Thanksgiving table, and holiday content to help you stay calm, inspired, and creative throughout the busy Christmas season.
I love receiving your feedback and thoughts on Instagram and through my contact form. Please continue to send them my way and let me know what you’re loving and what you’d like to see more of. Happy November!