Over the years, I’ve tried dozens of hair tools in search of products that will make my getting-ready routine faster and easier while maintaining my hair’s health. I can honestly say that it’s rare for me to be excited by even the latest and greatest when it comes to hair products, but the GHD Duet Styler is 1,000% an exception and blew me away right off the bat!
The Duet is a 2-in-1 hot air styler that combines air and hot plates to take your hair from wet to completely styled with no damage. Below, I’m sharing my honest review of the GHD Duet styler with a look into what it is, how it works, my before and afters, and FAQs.
What is the GHD Duet Styler?
The GHD Duet is a 2-in-1 styler, meaning that it uses both air (like a hair dryer) and hot plates (like a flat iron) to dry and style your hair at the same time. If you’re getting flashbacks to the ’90s hair tools that promised a wet-to-styled result but steamed and sizzled your hair to death, I promise that couldn’t be further from what the Duet is!
While its shape resembles a flat iron, the Duet is so much more. It uses air and hot plates in a safe way to add shine and smoothness to your hair, not damage it.
When you look at the tool, there’s a gridded system of air vents in the center and on the sides. The side vents are for drying your roots (and use a lower temperature for scalp comfort). On either side of the center gridded system, there are thin hot plates. These plates never reach a temperature that will damage your hair when the drying function is turned on.
What this means is that the Duet both dries and styles/smoothes your hair all at once with absolutely no sizzle, steam, or damage. In fact, it actually locks in the moisture inside of the strand while drying the outside of the strand, giving your hair an ultra-silky finish that’s immediately noticeable. It is truly one of a kind!
GHD Duet Styler Before and After
Here’s my before and after with the GHD Duet. I have a lot of frizz-prone, fine hair that takes me a long time to style. I typically air dry or blow dry my hair, then style it with a curler, but the Duet allows me to go from wet to styled with just one tool in under 20 minutes.
GHD Duet Review: My Overall Thoughts
It takes a lot for me to be blown away by a new hair tool, but honestly, the GHD Duet 2-in-1 Styler is game changing if you have frizzy or textured hair. I’ve always used a hair dryer followed by a styling tool to get my hair to behave the way I want, but the GHD Duet allows me to accomplish both of those steps in one.
I highly recommend the GHD Duet if you have textured hair, are a damage-conscious shopper, and want an all-in-one drying and styling tool. It’s easy to use, styles quickly (under 20 minutes for me), is quiet, and the softness it adds is pretty insane (it reminds me of my Brazilian Blowout treatments).
I think the best part of the Duet styler is that the silky finish it gives you is literally the perfect base for any other hair tool. If you’re not feeling a straight look, you can power up your curlers, hot rollers, etc. once you’re done using the Duet, and whatever hairstyle you’re after will look that much better and be far easier to achieve because the Duet gives you such a soft, smooth, manageable base!
GHD Duet Styler Tutorial with Pictures
1. Start with clean, towel-dried (not dripping wet) hair, brush through with a comb, then section into top and bottom with a clip or hair tie. I like to apply 1-2 pumps of the GHD Sleek Talker styling oil for extra heat protection and smoothness.
2. Turn the styler on (it will beep when it’s ready) and pick up a 2″ section of hair. Place it at the root, hold for 2-3 seconds, then glide the styler down at a steady pace.
3. Each 2″ section requires 3-4 passes to dry completely. Once the bottom section is completely dry, move on to the top section.
4. Once the hair is completely dry, you have the option to press the shine shot button to turn the Duet into a flat iron. When pressed, the shine shot button will power the fan down and increase the temperature of the plates. Use the shine shot like I do to create tousled waves (I wrap sections of my hair around the Duet) or to eliminate any remaining bends/frizz for an even sleeker look.
5. That’s it! Turn the Duet power button to off and spritz the finished look with your hairspray of choice. The added shine and softness will last 48 hours.
Duet Video Tutorial
The Instagram reel below shows a sped up version of how the tool works live.
GHD Duet Pros and Cons
It wouldn’t be a GHD Duet review without a pros and cons list! Honestly, I hard a hard time finding cons about this hair product, but there are a couple of things to know if you’re considering this purchase.
- An all-in-one tool that takes you from wet to styled
- No damage (temperature-controlled airflow and hot plates)
- Adds amazing softness (it locks moisture inside the strands while removing surface moisture) and shine
- Switches modes to style like a traditional flat iron with the touch of a button
- It’s incredibly quiet
- Fast (my thick hair goes from wet to styled in under 20 minutes)
- Takes longer to dry hair than a traditional hair dryer (but it dries with much more smoothness)
What do you think? Would you try the Duet? Let me know if you have any questions about how it works in the comments. I’m always happy to help!
Shop the Post
Thank you to GHD and LTK for sponsoring this post. As always, all opinions are my own.