Today I’m sharing a classic spin on a shirt jacket outfit, which are three words I never thought I’d say on this blog. Truth be told, I resisted the shacket fashion trend hard when it debuted awhile back. But this year, there are options with tailored cuts in neutrals and muted plaids that successfully lured me in.
Most shirt jacket outfits are menswear inspired, which makes sense given that this piece is oversized by design. However, there are ways to style a shacket so it doesn’t completely swallow your figure. Below, I’m giving you four pointers for doing just that.
Keep reading to learn how to wear a shirt jacket and keep your shape, plus a roundup of 16 shirt jackets if you love a classic, timeless look like I do.
How to Wear a Shirt Jacket
1. Size Down: Reviews will be your best friend here. I sized down in mine for a closer cut and it still has room for a sweater underneath. Pay special attention to the sleeve length and descriptions about the fit, like ‘slim fit’ and ‘relaxed fit, when evaluating sizing.
2. Go for a Solid Neutral: Ivory, tan, and black will be more versatile additions to your wardrobe than a bold, buffalo plaid shacket. If you must have color, go for a muted hue, like rose mauve or lush blue. Keep the shacket the statement piece in the look by pairing it with coordinating neutrals, like a white-button down, long sleeve t-shirt, or henley.
3. Belt It: When it doubt, belt it. A Vogue editor sparked my interest in this when she started wearing belts over outerwear on Instagram last winter. Belt the shacket snugly at the smallest part of your waist to create shape.
4. Aim for Balance: Even slim fit shackets can look oversized, so the trick is to create balance by avoiding wide-leg anything on the bottom half. Opt for slim or straight bottoms and wear either boots with a shaft high enough to tuck under the denim (this creates one, elongating line from my hip to the ground) or wear almond or pointed-toe loafers, mules, or heels. Faux leather leggings, skinny jeans, and chinos would work well with the latter.
5. Bonus Tip: Avoid breast pockets if you can. I don’t need to because I’m small busted, but if you are busty, pockets may add to the boxy effect.
From flannel shirt jackets to corduroy shackets, check shirt jackets, long shackets, and wool blend beauties, treat yourself to this trendy layering piece. And be sure to send me a DM or leave a comment on this post letting me know how you end up styling yours!
If shackets simply aren’t your thing, check out my recommendations for lightweight jackets, which include everything from blazers to sherpa jackets, and my picks for this season’s best cardigan coats.
For more fall fashion and fall outfit ideas, visit the Style section of the blog, come hang out with me on Instagram, and follow along in the Shop where I share my outfits, what’s in my closet, and products I love.