As spring begins to give way to summer, I get particularly excited to style my light wash jeans. Although they don’t go untouched in the cold seasons, I start to rely on them more and more as the weather heats up and I’m gravitating toward airy, casual, light blue jean looks.
In case you’re unsure how to wear them, today’s post is all about what to wear with light wash jeans! See below for a few light wash jean outfit ideas, plus my tips for picking shoes, tops, and colors that pair well with them.
Favorite Light Wash Jeans in My Closet
I’ve tried quite a few light wash jeans over the years in various styles and price points, and these are my favorites so far. Most are premium denim brands, but I’ve never regretted these pairs:
- Paige Cindy—Paige jeans are known for being suitable for tall women, but they work for all heights. The Cindy in “Totally” wash has been my favorite pair of light wash jeans in my wardrobe for a few years. They’re comfortable thanks to the light stretch, have a slim straight fit, and are the perfect inseam (27″) for a variety of shoe types. I took my true size.
- MOTHER Rambler Ankle—These are relaxed with a 28.25″ inseam and a raw hem that lends a very casual feel. I love these with casual sandals and a tee or tank for everyday wear. Like all MOTHER jeans, they have gentle stretch.
- AGOLDE Lana—These are straight leg with a full length inseam and a button fly. A great light summer jean that dresses up and down. They’re relaxed but refined. Size down if between sizes, especially if you are straight through the hips and thighs.
- Madewell Perfect Vintage—The Perfect Vintage line has a fitted high waist, tapered slim straight legs, and come in all sorts of washes and lengths, including tall and plus size. I love this wash with a clean hem for summertime. Here’s a distressed pair I love as well. Definitely size down if between sizes as they do relaxed with time.
What Goes with Light Wash Jeans?
Honestly, light wash jeans go with everything. They are extremely versatile, especially when you’re creating a casual outfit. So don’t worry too much about the pattern or color you’re wearing with them!
The main thing to keep in mind is that light blue jeans tend to read more casual, so if you want to dress them up, reach for elevated shoes and accessories (bag, jewelry, hair pieces) in addition to a dressier top.
Here are the shoes I recommend wearing with light blue jeans:
- Sneakers, sandals, and low block heel boots work especially well in casual light blue jean outfits.
- For a dressier blue jean outfit, try heeled booties, heeled sandals, or pumps.
Here are a few colors and top styles to pair with light wash jeans:
- Contrasting dark neutrals like black, navy, or gray
- Complementing light neutrals like white, beige, and tan
- Relaxed tops like cotton t-shirts, button downs, and tank tops
- Feminine tops with ruffles and puff sleeves
- Soft pastels and light colors
How to Wear Light Wash Jeans: Outfit Ideas
See below for a few of my favorite ways to wear light blue jeans, plus brief notes on what makes each combination work.
1. With Light Neutrals
I love the combination of light wash denim jeans with soft neutrals like white, tan, and beige. You really can’t go wrong when it comes to pairing them and the relaxed, breezy feel transitions from day to night with a simple shoe swap.
2. With Floral, Pastel, & Feminine Tops
The soft color and relaxed feel of light jeans make them the perfect complement to feminine tops. They’re dialed back enough to let a pattern or bright color take center stage. I love wearing them with puff sleeves, ruffles, and bows for a chic warm weather outfit that can be worn with white sneakers or sandals, or dressed up with a wedge or block heel.
3. With Contrasting Colors
In the fall and winter, I lean toward the moodier side of the color world with black, gray, and navy. These all pair beautifully in light blue jeans outfits, and the combo adds an unexpected pop during the months when most people are wearing mid-blue denim, dark blue jeans, or black jeans.