I’ll be the first to admit that a $400 price tag for a beauty tool is a pretty penny, and that’s part of the reason I waited so long to hop on the Dyson Hair Dryer train. My current dryer was working just fine, but when my hair stylist whipped out the professional version at an appointment, I was intrigued.
Fast forward to today: I not only own the product but use it daily. If you’re in the market for a new hair dryer or are curious if the Dyson Supersonic lives up to the hype, you’ll love this post.
Keep reading for my honest review of the Dyson Hair Dryer, which includes pros and cons, my experience, who should invest in a Dyson, and where to find one on sale. I also answer FAQs about the Dyson Supersonic at the end!
My Review of the Dyson Hair Dryer
Before I share my Dyson Hair Dryer review, it’s important to know that I have extremely thick, frizz-prone, wavy hair. My hair traditionally takes a long time to dry, and I’ve been through my fair share of hair dryers (at least 10) since I started styling it in middle school.
Here’s my review: The Dyson Hair Dryer dries my hair incredibly fast (10 minutes compared to 20+ minutes with other dryers), and it’s my favorite hair tool by a landslide. It dries my hair smooth without sacrificing volume and doesn’t create frizz. I’ve never had my hair overheat, thanks to the heat sensor inside the Dyson dryer. It’s quiet, so I can hold a conversation while getting ready. To boot, it’s lightweight, so my arms don’t get tired while using it.
So, is the Dyson Hair Dryer worth it? 1,000% yes.
Where to Buy a Dyson
I received my Dyson as a gift, but they’re carried by Nordstrom, Sephora, Sax Fifth Avenue, Neiman Marcus, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Ulta. I have yet to see it sold in hair salons, but salons in your area may carry them.
As an alternative to new, you can also purchase pre-owned, refurbished Dysons online. My readers have had luck buying refurbished Dyson dryers from Nordstrom Rack, where they’re usually ~25% off.
Pros & Cons of the Supersonic Dryer
- Results—My hair is notably smoother, shinier, and less frizzy.
- Quiet—It’s much quieter than other dryers I’ve used.
- Lightweight—The motor placement in the handle distributes the dryer’s weight nicely. This tool is lightweight and doesn’t make my hand tired.
- Settings—It has three heat settings and three airflow settings, making it useful for everything from touch-ups to full blowouts.
- Magnetic Attachments—All nozzles and diffusers are magnetic, making them easy to attach and remove.
- Heat Protection—The attachments and surface of the dryer never overheat (goodbye, burned fingers).
- Non-Tangle Cord—The cord has a round design that prevents tangling, even when the dryer is stored for travel.
- Easy to Clean—The filter twists on and off for easy monthly cleaning.
- No Exposed Blades—Basically, this means goodbye to hair getting caught in the back of the dryer. Amen!
- Storage—There are hundreds of storage options available for this tool, whether you’re looking for a Dyson travel case, a stand, or a bathroom wall mount.
- Bonuses—If you purchase through Dyson.com, they’ll often throw in two free gifts/tools, like a storage stand, case, brush, or wide-tooth attachment.
- Powerful—The V9 motor is extremely high velocity, and some people may find it too strong.
- Cost—The price point is 4-6x the cost of the average hair dryer, but Nordstrom Rack carries refurbished Dyson hair dryers for about 25% off.
- Attachments—I’ve seen some women complain that the magnetic attachments fall off, but I haven’t experienced this at all.
- Power Cord—The power cord has a large transformer that eats up space, and the plug may block the second outlet.
So, would I get the Dyson Hair Dryer again? Absolutely yes! Anytime someone asks me for hair tool recommendations, I tell them this hair dryer is an absolute must have.
Shop the Dyson Hair Dryer
FAQs about the Dyson Hair Dryer
Where can I find the Dyson Hair Dryer on sale?
EBay carries refurbished Dyson hair dryers in pristine condition for up to 40% off. The dryer rarely goes on sale at larger retailers, but you may have luck with annual sales, such as the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale, or holidays (Black Friday, Cyber Monday, etc.).
Who should buy a Dyson Hair Dryer?
Anyone is a good candidate for the Dyson, but it’s especially fitting for women who have long, thick, or unmanageable hair. The more inconvenient it feels to dry your hair in the morning due to the time commitment, styling difficulty, or frizz factor, the more the Dyson Hair Dryer will be game-changing for you. That being said, the dryer will cut down on drying time, improve smoothness, and improve heat protection for anyone.
Is the Dyson Hair Dryer good for curly hair?
Yes! Dyson recently released two new attachments, the Gentle Air Dryer (similar to the diffuser) and the Wide Tooth Comb, which are engineered specifically for curly and coily hair types. They diffuse the dryer’s airflow path for gentle drying ability, and provide shape and definition, respectively.
Dyson usually runs a special for the holiday season; if you purchase through Dyson.com, you’ll receive two free gifts with purchase and can select an addition attachment for free (either of the two I mentioned above).
Does the Dyson hair dryer work on fine hair?
I consider my hair fine, but I have a lot of it. The Dyson dries my hair well without damaging it whatsoever. If you have curly hair and want to straighten it, the Dyson will be a lifesaver for you. If you have curly hair and like to keep it curly, I’d try the lowest airflow setting on the Dyson.
Can I use my Dyson hair dryer abroad?
According to Dyson.com, you can technically use your machine abroad in a country with an electricity supply that’s similar to the country where you purchased your Dyson but should not use it with a converter. For a list of voltage ranges by country, visit the Dyson website. Keep in mind that using the Dyson abroad voids the warranty.
How do you clean the Dyson hair dryer?
You should clean your Dryer’s filter so that it’s free from dust, lint, and hair product about once per month. Dyson recommends wiping down the filter with a clean cloth. My hair dresser soaks her for an hour or two in warm water for a more thorough cleaning.
How much is a Dyson hair dryer?
What’s the best Dyson hair dryer case?
Where can I find a Dyson hair dryer stand?
Is there a warranty if the Dyson hair dryer stops working?
Yes, the hair dryer comes with a 2-year warranty. Keep your receipt as you’ll need proof of purchase to return or exchange if you run into issues.
What’s the difference between the Dyson hair dryer and the Dyson professional hair dryer?
The Dyson Supersonic Professional edition is lighter than the standard version. It’s designed to be used in a salon all day. My hair dresser has the professional version and doesn’t think it’s too different from the standard.
Is the Dyson hair dryer worth it?
In my opinion, the Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer is 100% worth it if you regularly style your hair, have thick hair that takes a while to dry, or want to cut down time getting ready in the morning. It is worth every penny and my hair feels smooth, shiny, and frizz-free when I use it!